Micro-Learning Nuggets Newsletter No. 4
Identifying the Vocational Training Centre (VTC) partner in country is one of the most important first steps of setting up a PPDP. You have a choice of setting up a new Vocational Training Centre or working with an existing one. Which would you choose and why?
Our learning has been that it is much more effective overall to work within existing VTCs, even if it means developing a new department or workshop and hiring new staff. Here are three reasons why:
- Cost and time optimization: this avoids having to build completely new infrastructure, the provision of which could take a long time and cause delays in implementation of the PPDP activities from clearance, contractors, permits, etc.
- Sustainability: An institutional home will help with sustainability – for example, continuation of activities once the formal PPDP project ends and provision of ongoing support and leadership for the new activities.
- Continuity: Because the VTCs are public institutions, the government can help with continuity and handover of the PPDP project back to the VTC, including ensuring planning for and continuity of staff contracts etc. at the end of the project.
Do you have a few minutes to learn more?
In our PPDP Development Toolkit, scan our Host Institution Selection Criteria to see what features are important when identifying the VTC partner. There is also a VTC Assessment Checklist that the implementing partner uses when visiting the selected VTC host to assess rehabilitation and equipment needs to launch the new PPDP. (2:00 minutes)
- Surf the VTC websites’ Academy sections to see the workshops in action in the Iraq VTC, Morocco VTC, and Ethiopia VTC; read about their set up and look at the photo galleries (5:00 minutes)
- Scan our PPDP Development Toolkit – a step-by-step guide on the very first steps of developing PPDP projects that focus on vocational skills training. Four steps starting from the initial concept note. (2:15 minutes)
- Watch this video about the LKD Facility to learn more about the programme that connects these VTCs for learning together and with private sector partners, donors and implementing agencies. (5:07 minutes)